I used to play this occasionally at The Zelman Partisans. The idea is to go through Everytown’s list of “school” shootings, and see what might actually be a school shooting. To pad the numbers Everytown will include stuff involving non-students on school grounds in the middle of the night, college frat parties, anything near a school whether or not it had anything to do with the school, “somebody thought they heard shots near a school, and — on one occasion — a “shooting” that I could find no record of anywhere. But of course when they talk about shootings, they want you to think of liitle boys and girls gunned down in elementary and high schools.
Back then, they didn’t include links for their sources, but I see they do now. That will make things easier.
So let’s go! I’m going to look at the ten most recent.
- Austin-East High School, 1 dead. Cops shot and killed a student who shot at them. Yep.
- Selma High School, no injuries Actual school shooting.
- Four Corners Elementary School, 1 dead, 1 injured. Few details, even when I do a search. It may have been at the school, or near. It seems to have been after hours. And since the shooter and victims were a “teen” and 17 years old respectively, I doubt they were students or staff. I’m gonna say Nope.
- University of Cincinnati, no injuries. College campus, outdoors, shooter unknown and alleged victim also unknown. College? Not apparently students or staff? Nope
- Tennessee Tech University, no injuries Negligent discharge by a VP in his office. College, so Nope.
- Kennesaw State University, 1 dead. College campus, negligent discharge in a car. I can find no report of anything but a wound; charges don’t cover any form of homicide. College: Nope.
- Watson Chapel Junior High School, 1 dead. Students in the school. A real one.
- Northeastern Illinois University, no injuries. College. It didn’t happen on campus. Campus cops heard it. Nope.
- George Washington Carver High School, 1 dead. I’ll have to allow this one; it was at the school. At an after hours basketball game. Cop killed by a 35yo thug who had just robbed someone and was trying to get into the school. In on a technicality. Ironically, the cop had tried to stop the robber not for robbery (he apparently didn’t know about), but because the robber wasn’t wearing a mask.
- Bishop Hartley High School, no injuries. A shot hit the building.Not known where it came from, or by who. Since it’s ahigh school… Yep.
Ten “shootings.” Five, maybe even just four, were what normal people think of when they hear “school shooting.” 50% accuracy rate. Last time I played their rate was 55%. And the time before that, it was 57.1%.
Everytown is actually getting worse every time I check.
|If you found this post useful, please consider dropping something in my tip jar. I could really use the money, what with ISP bills, rabbit feed, and general life expenses.Click here to donate via PayPal.|